Function and description
Basic principles of electronic device (on-board unit functioning)
The electronic device allows for the unambiguous identification and positioning of a vehicle by the electronic toll system. The electronic device is non-transferable and as of 1 December 2019 the vehicle operator shall be obliged to use it while driving on toll roads within the territory of the Czech Republic in a vehicle subject to toll payment.
Within the operation of the electronic toll system, the vehicle operator uses electronic devices, which integrate three key technologies:
- the satellite GPS technology for determining a position (provides for data collection concerning the use of toll roads),
- GSM/GPRS technology for communication within mobile networks (serves for data transfer between the electronic device and other information systems within the electronic toll system),
- the microwave DRSC technology for short-distance communication (serves for checking of toll payers within the toll collection enforcement process).
The Billien OBU 5051 electronic device dimensions are 145 x 92 x 40 mm (without the holder) and weighs approximately 290 g. There are indicators on the front of the electronic device, four control buttons and light and sound indicators that enable the driver to properly set up and use the electronic device. An integral part of this electronic device is its basic accessories designed for installation in a vehicle using a cigarette lighter.
In the centre of the electronic device, there is a group of coloured backlit symbols designed to indicate the following to the driver:
- toll credit balance (element 6),
- battery and external power status (feature 7),
- the currently set number of axles (feature 8, 9, 10).
There are four buttons on the electronic device. The upper buttons (features 2 and 4) are used to switch (scroll up/down) between the permitted axle numbers for the registered vehicle category. The lower left button (feature 3) turns the beep sound on/off (note: some sounds are configured so they cannot be switched off due to their importance). The lower right button (feature 5) is used to manually initiate communication.
The following statuses are signalled by sound:
- Electronic equipment disconnected from external power supply,
- Low battery status,
- Electronic device lock,
- Transitions between statuses (eg sleep, activation, or deactivation of the Electronic Device , etc.).